Enter the Music Industry with APU’s Music Composition Major
APU’s composition major prepares students for work as a professional composer or graduate study. Courses in music theory, musicianship, music technology, counterpoint form, arranging, orchestration, applied composition, music history, literature, and conducting give the student a thorough preparation in comprehensive musicianship. Students earning their Bachelor of Music in Composition also participate in musical ensembles and attend and perform their compositions in recitals, providing extensive, diverse musical experiences. Students graduate with the musical and practical preparation they need to start a musical career.
Admission to the music composition major is by audition and submission of previous compositions. Students with minimal compositional experience may be admitted at the discretion of the composition faculty, provided they show promise and strong general musicianship in other ways.
Is This Major Right for You?
国产偷拍视频You’re a composition major (B.M.) if you:
- Already love to compose and/or creatively arrange.
- Are diligent and willing to put in extensive time and effort to hone your talent into skill.
- Enjoy the creative process, including learning new ways to compose and developing new skills.
- Plan to pursue a career as a composer/arranger or an advanced degree in music.
- Small classes that facilitate greater student access to professors
- Freedom to integrate faith and musicianship
- Interaction with a variety of performance groups
- Access to the greater Los Angeles area, which provides opportunities in many different venues including musicals, operas, church concerts, recording studios, orchestras, jazz bands, etc.
School of Music Accreditation
A degree from Azusa Pacific University is respected and recognized internationally, and accredited by the (NASM). The university is regionally accredited by the .
Azusa Pacific University secured a place in the most prestigious category of U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017 rankings, placing at No. 183 in Tier One of the National Universities category. In addition, named APU as 1 of 124 institutions in the 2017 Best Colleges in the West, ranked APU among the best schools in the nation for 2017, and G.I. Jobs named APU a Military Friendly School for 2017, placing APU among the top 15 percent of schools in the country helping military students reach their education dreams.
Note: This information is current for the 2019-20 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current for more information.