Computer Science Degree
Computer science is an exciting, challenging, and growing field that impacts the world and everyday life in countless ways. APU’s Bachelor of Science in Computer Science equips students to create systems that analyze, transform, and describe information. Core coursework provides a solid foundation in calculus, discrete mathematics, computing fundamentals, operating systems, database management, and data structures. Students learn about the many facets of the computer industry to prepare for careers in software development, systems programming, data analysis, and computer design. The computer science degree prepares professionals who understand the complexities of computer systems and can use them to address pressing and intricate problems.
国产偷拍视频Students can tailor their learning to specific areas of interest such as artificial intelligence, advanced database applications programming, or software system development. Computer science majors leave APU prepared to create and use computer systems to solve complex problems.
Student Portraits: Matthew Perera
Matthew Perera ’20 is a computer science major at Azusa Pacific University. See how a simple conversation with his academic advisor enabled Matthew to discover his passion, leading to a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity serving abroad.
Pathway from Education to Vocation
Download the Computer Science Brochure to learn more about APU’s pathway from education to vocation, including graduate school and career opportunities.
Is This Major Right for You?
You’re a computer science major if you:
- Enjoy math or are musically inclined.
- Like observing, learning about, and analyzing the world around you.
- Like strategy games like chess, checkers, or computer games.
- Enjoy mental challenges and problem solving.
- Like fixing things and pulling them apart to see how they work.
- Like imagining how technology can improve other fields.
Learn more about this major.
The conversations between faculty and students really made computer science classes memorable. I enjoyed when there was something that we could relate to together or things that our professors would talk about outside of class that caught our interest.
Program Educational Objectives
国产偷拍视频The program educational objectives of the computer science program in the Department of Engineering and Computer Science at Azusa Pacific University are as below. The expectation is that these objectives will be demonstrably attained in the early years of the professional careers of those who graduate from the program.
- Core Technical Competencies and Lifelong Learning
Our graduates will demonstrate effective use of their core technical competencies in Computer Science by progressive advancements in their professional careers, including in many cases mastery of emerging technologies, the pursuit of different specialization areas, attainment of advanced degrees, or professional licensure or certifications.
- Effective Teamwork
Our graduates will work effectively as team members and leaders in diverse professional environments and career paths.
- Impact of Technology Our graduates will demonstrate, in their professional careers, a clear understanding of the impact of technology in a global and societal context, and of its implications from a Christian ethics perspective.
Program Learning Outcomes (Student Outcomes)
The computer science program at Azusa Pacific University expects its students, at the time of their graduation, to be able to:
- Analyze a complex computing problem and apply principles of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirements in the context of the program’s discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgments in computing practice based on legal and ethical principles.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program’s discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.
Note: This information is current for the 2019-20 academic year; however, all stated academic information is subject to change. Please refer to the current for more information.